When it comes to choosing mats for use in horse stables, there are several options available, including high density 20mm EVA jigsaw mats and traditional 6ft x 4ft x 17mm rubber grooved flat edged mats. In this section, we will compare the two types of mats to determine which is the best option for use in horse stables.
High Density 20mm EVA Jigsaw Mats
High density 20mm EVA jigsaw mats are made of ethylene-vinyl acetate foam and interlock like a puzzle, creating a seamless surface. They are a popular option for use in horse stables due to their durability, comfort, and ease of installation.
- Shock Absorption: High density EVA foam provides excellent shock absorption, reducing the risk of injury to cattle.
- Comfort: The relatively soft, cushioned surface of EVA mats provides a comfortable surface for cattle to stand on, reducing the risk of sore feet or leg injuries.
- Easy to Install: Jigsaw mats are easy to install and can be quickly assembled like a puzzle, making them a convenient option for horse stable flooring. They can be cut to fit with a sharp knife.
- Hygienic: EVA mats are easy to clean and disinfect, making them a hygienic option for horse stables. The are also anti-bacterial in nature. However, that is not to say bacterial cannot grow between the grooves so they will still need cleaning.
- Portable. Weighing 7.3kgs for the 3ft x 4ft x 20mm mat they are substantially easier to move and less costly to transport when compared to the 6ft x 4ft x 17mm rubber mat.
- Durable: High-quality EVA jigsaw mats are built to last and can withstand heavy use.
- Cost: EVA jigsaw mats can be more expensive than other types of mats, especially when covering a large area. Here at Stable mats Ireland however, we are working against this trend.
Traditional 6ft x 4ft x 17mm Rubber Grooved Flat Edged Mats
Traditional rubber mats are a popular option for horse stable flooring due to their durability and low cost. They are made of rubber and have a grooved surface to provide traction and drainage.
- Durability: Rubber mats are durable and can withstand heavy use.
- Cost: Rubber mats are typically less expensive than EVA jigsaw mats.
- Traction: The grooved surface of rubber mats provides excellent traction for horses.
- Limited Shock Absorption: Rubber mats do not provide as much shock absorption as EVA jigsaw mats, increasing the risk of injury to horses.
- Hard Surface: Rubber mats can be harder than EVA jigsaw mats, which may be uncomfortable for horses to stand on for extended periods.
- Heavy: Rubber mats can be heavy and difficult to move around.
- Colder feel that the EVA alternative.
- More expensive to ship, often shipping on a double pallet (twice the price) and the additional weight may also drive up shipping costs.
Overall, high density 20mm EVA jigsaw mats are the better option for horse stable flooring. While rubber mats are durable and cost-effective, they do not provide the same level of shock absorption and comfort as EVA jigsaw mats. Horse stable flooring should be designed to provide a comfortable and safe environment for horses to stand and move around in, and EVA jigsaw mats offer the best combination of shock absorption, comfort, and hygiene for horse stables. They are also easy to install, making them a convenient option for horse stable flooring.